Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia.
1. noun, slang One's life; one's survival or self-preservation. Thanks for bringing me some extra cash—you really saved my skin, there!
2. noun, slang A cigarette paper. Do you have any spare skins? I forgot to pick up some at the gas station.
3. noun, slang Nude flesh, especially the breasts or thighs. Come on, toots, lift up your skirt and show us some skin!
4. noun, informal In video games, an alternate appearance for a character within the game. The game is free, so the developers make their money by selling various skins for a few dollars a pop.
5. adjective, slang Of, depicting, or related to nudity or pornography. They sell skin magazine that are kept on a rack hidden behind black paper. The movie theater used to show skin flicks and exploitation films back in the '70s.
6. verb, dated slang To cheat or swindle (someone). The con man skinned them for nearly $10,000.
1. slang Drums, or a drum set. I find it so therapeutic to spend an hour or two hitting the skins each night. And on the skins we have the very talented Audrey Brecht!
2. In a casual sports game in which neither team has a uniform, the players who remove their shirts (thus exposing their skin) in order to distinguish themselves from the opposing team (called the "shirts," since they are still wearing shirts). The practice is called "shirts and skins." John forgot the yellow jerseys, so we'll have to play shirts versus skins tonight. OK, Tom, Jack, Bill, and I will be skins—the rest of you can be shirts.
See also: skin
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2022 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
n. drums. (Musicians. The same as hides.) Andy can really make the skins talk.
See also: skin
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.