Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
dated slang An irresponsible, disreputable, and dissolute person Primarily heard in South Africa. He's just a useless skate, living in his parents' basement and getting into arguments with people on social media.
A pair of roller, inline, or ice skates. I'm asking for some new skates for Christmas! They only had one pair of skates left, and they kept pinching my feet the whole time I was out on the ice.
See also: skate
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2022 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. n. a drinking bout. He’s off on another three-day skate.
2. n. a drunkard; a person on a drinking spree. A couple of skates celebrating the new year ran into my car.
3. n. something really easy. The test was a skate!
4. in. to get drunk. Let’s go out and skate, okay?
n. shoes. It looks like somebody looged on your skates!
See also: skate
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.
- (as) awkward as a cow on roller skates
- awkward as a cow on a crutch
- be (walking) on thin ice
- be skating on thin ice
- be skating/walking on thin ice
- cheap skate
- get (one's) skates on
- get your skates on
- get/put your skates on
- ice skates
- on thin ice
- on thin ice, to be/skate
- put (one's) skates on
- skate (one's) lane
- skate around
- skate by
- skate on
- skate on (something)
- skate on thin ice
- skate over
- skate over (something)
- skating on thin ice
- when hell freezes over and the devil learns to (ice) skate