sign on(redirected from sign on law)
1. To become enlisted or recruited as an employee. Starting next fall, I'll be signing on as their new head of marketing. The labor pool continues to grow, with more people signing on every month.
2. To employee, enlist, or recruit someone to begin working for someone or something. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "sign" and "on." We'll be hosting a huge campaign to sign on new talent for our up-and-coming design company. The local coal company has been trying to sign high school graduates on as an alternative to the traditional college route.
3. To announce or introduce a program, broadcast, or transmission, as on radio, television, or the internet. You need to remember to sign on before you begin your segment each morning. Part of the popular YouTuber's success is his very recognizable way of signing on at the beginning of each of his videos.
sign someone on
to employ someone; to recruit someone as an employee. How many workers did the manager sign on? The construction company signed on ten new workers.
sign on (with someone or something) (as something)
to join up with someone or something in a particular capacity by signing a contract or agreement. I signed on with the captain of the Felicity Anne as first mate. Roger signed on as manager for the new store.
to announce the beginning of a broadcast transmission. The announcer signed on and then played "The Star-Spangled Banner." We usually sign on at six in the morning.
1. Enlist oneself as an employee, as in Arthur decided to sign on with the new software company. [Late 1800s]
2. Begin radio or television broadcasting, especially at the beginning of the day, as in What time does the station sign on? [c. 1920]
1. To enlist oneself, especially as an employee: He signed on for two years with the Peace Corps. She signed on as a sales representative and was soon promoted to district manager.
2. To start transmission with an identification of the broadcasting station: Our local public television station signs on every morning at 6:00.