Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. verb To record one's or someone's attendance or arrival in a log book or register. All visitors must sign in before they will be allowed to see the patients. Would you mind signing your wife in? It's hospital policy.
2. verb To access a digital account or network, typically by entering personal credentials; to log in. I'm having trouble signing in to my computer, so I haven't had a chance to check my email yet. The website will ask you to sign in before you complete your purchase.
3. verb To allow someone to digital account or network; to log someone in. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "sign" and "in." I've having trouble accessing my account from home—any chance IT can sign me in remotely?
4. noun The act of accessing a digital account or network, typically by entering personal credentials. In this usage, the phrase is hyphenated. If we make the sign-in too difficult, no one will use the app.
sign someone in
to record that someone has arrived somewhere and at what time by recording the information on a paper or a list. I will sign you in. What is your name? Do I have to sign in everyone?
sign something in
to record that something has been received at a particular time by recording the information on a paper or a list. I have to sign this package in, then I will be right with you. should I sign in this shipment now?
to indicate that one has arrived somewhere and at what time by signing a piece of paper or a list. Please sign in so we will know you are here. Did you remember to sign in this time?
Record one's arrival by signing a register, as in He signed in both himself and his wife. [c. 1930] For the antonym, see sign out.
1. To record the arrival of someone by signing a register: We went to the front desk to sign in. I got to the hotel first and signed us in.
2. To provide the necessary information to a computer for someone to be allowed to access computer resources: I signed in on the bank's website and checked my account statement. I'll sign you in using my password so you can access the website's subscriber features.