shut the door on (something)(redirected from shutting the door on)
shut the door on (something)
1. Literally, to close a door on something else, usually accidentally. Whoa, hang on, I shut the door on my gown! I accidentally shut the door on my finger, and I think it might be broken.
2. To hinder something; to make something impossible. If they find out that you lied on your resume, it will definitely shut the door on this job opportunity.
3. To conclude something. Graduation will shut the door on my high school experience.
shut the door (up)on someone or somethingand close the door on someone or something ; close the door to someone or something
1. Lit. to close a door, preventing someone or something from passing through. (Upon is formal and less commonly used than on.) They shut the door upon me, and I couldn't get in! We quickly closed the door on the smoke.
2. Fig. to eliminate an opportunity for someone or something. The board of directors shut the door on me, and there was no further opportunity for me to pursue. They closed the door on further discussions.