Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Like this video? Subscribe to our free daily email and get a new idiom video every day!
A greeting, salute, or expression of respect to someone addressed to someone while one is being recorded or broadcast, as on radio, television, or the internet. Real quick, I just want to give a shout to my manager Sarah—without her, I never would have gotten this opportunity. While you're on the line, is there anyone you'd like to give a shout to, such as family or friends?
See also: shout
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.
shout/proclaim from the housetops
To make known publicly.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- (someone or something) to shout about
- a shout
- a shouting match
- all over bar the shouting
- all over but the shouting
- all over but the shouting, it's
- be all over bar the shouting
- be in with a shout
- be nothing to shout about
- be shouting (one's) head off
- be shouting your head off
- be something to shout about
- drink (oneself) silly
- drink, laugh, shout, etc. yourself silly
- give (one) a shout
- give somebody a shout
- in with a shout
- it's all over bar the shouting
- it's all over but the shouting
- laugh (oneself) silly
- let out (some sound)
- nothing to shout about
- scream (one's) head off
- scream, shout, etc. your head off
- shout (one's) head off
- shout (oneself) silly
- shout (something) from the housetop(s)
- shout (something) from the rooftop(s)
- shout about
- shout down
- shout from the housetops/rooftops, to
- shout from the rooftops
- shout out
- shout something from the rooftops
- shout the odds
- shout, etc. something from the housetops/rooftops
- shouting match
- shut out
- to shout about
- within hailing distance
- within shouting distance
- wouldn't shout if a shark bit him