Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Acronyms, Wikipedia.
1. verb, vulgar slang To defecate. You'll have to go shit in the woods while we're camping.
2. verb, vulgar slang To defecate while in (something). I couldn't reach a toilet in time and ended up shitting my pants. She was so drunk that she shat the bed in her sleep.
3. verb, vulgar slang To fool, deceive, or trick (someone). Usually used to express disbelief. We have to come in and work on Saturday, too? You've got to be shitting me! I promise I'm not shitting you—these figures are very real.
4. noun, vulgar slang Feces. Someone smeared shit all over the bathroom walls.
5. noun, vulgar slang An act or instance of defecation. I need to go take a shit.
6. noun, rude slang Something utterly untrue or wildly exaggerated. Don't give me that shit, Tom. I know you've been taking money from the register. Her entire speech was just a load of shit from start to finish.
7. noun, rude slang Ridiculous nonsense. Used to express frustration, exasperation, or disgust. You mean we have to come in to work on Saturday, too? God, what a bunch of shit! This is such shit! The teacher marked me down a whole letter grade just because I used 14-point font on my essay.
8. noun, rude slang Useless, worthless, or undesirable items. I've got so much shit cluttering up my office right now. Will you please go up and clear all that shit out of the attic this weekend? I can't believe they charged $20 for this shit. It broke after less than a week!
9. noun, rude slang A despicable, contemptible, or worthless person. Their son is such a little shit. I've never met such a nasty kid in my life. I'm willing to bet that lazy shit hasn't finished his part of the project yet.
10. noun, rude slang Something harmful to a person, such as drugs or chemicals. How long has Tom been using that shit? We've got to get him into rehab! You don't want to know how much shit they put into the processed food we eat.
11. noun, rude slang Completely worthless or unenjoyable. What a shit play. The writing was awful, the acting was atrocious, and it was so boring that I nearly fell asleep halfway through!
12. interjection, rude slang An exclamation of anger, indignation, irritation, or exasperation. A: "Shit!" B: "What happened?" A: "I dropped my plate and it smashed on the ground!" The motor just burnt out on this mower again! Shit!
13. interjection, rude slang Used to intensify or punctuate any extreme emotion, whether positive or negative. A: "I think the boss found out about the missing money." B: "Oh shit, oh shit! What am I going to do?" This burger is delicious! Shit, I've never had such a tasty burger in my life! A: "Why do you think this is happening?" B: "Shit, I don't know!"
shit a brick
rude slang To be very scared or nervous. The plural ("shit bricks") is also commonly used. Of course I shit a brick when I woke up to the sounds of an intruder in my house! My brother is so strong and scary-looking that people shit bricks when he threatens them.
shit all over (someone or something)
1. rude slang To harshly or excessively criticize someone or something. I know you're stressed about the wedding, but can you please stop shitting all over me? I didn't intentionally bring the wrong box of decorations! If she's just going to shit all over my ideas like that, then I don't see any reason to participate any longer.
2. rude slang To mistreat someone in a very cruel or unfair manner. Between losing my job and girlfriend, it just feels like life has been shitting all over me lately. I'm at the lowest rung on the ladder at work, so I get shit all over by pretty much everyone.
shit in (one's) Cheerios
vulgar slang To upset, irritate, or disappoint one to a great degree. A more vulgar but less common variant of "piss in one's Cheerios." Sorry to shit in your Cheerios, but you won't get any credits for the class unless you attend every single lecture. A: "Watch out, the boss is in a foul mood today." B: "Wow, I wonder who shit in his Cheerios?"
shit it in
rude slang To do something easily or with little effort. Primarily heard in Australia. She's great with numbers and spreadsheets, so give her this project—she'll shit it in.
See also: shit
1. rude slang To go away; to get lost. Usually used imperatively. A: "Oh my God, and then what did you say?" B: "I told that idiot to shit off!" I punched him in the chest and said, "Shit off, jerk!"
2. rude slang To irritate or infuriate someone. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "shit" and "off." He got a kick out of shitting off customers over the phone, until he got fired for it, that is. I could tell Jake was just trying to shit me off with his comments, so I tried to ignore him.
shit on (someone or something)
1. rude slang To harshly or excessively criticize someone or something. I know you're stressed about the wedding, but can you please stop shitting on me? I didn't intentionally bring the wrong box of decorations! If she's just going to shit on my ideas like that, then I don't see any reason to participate any longer.
2. rude slang To mistreat someone in a very cruel or unfair manner. Between losing my job and girlfriend, it just feels like life has been shitting on me lately. I'm at the lowest rung on the ladder at work, so I get shit on by pretty much everyone.
1. rude slang Literally, to void something from one's bowels. A noun or pronoun can be used between "shit" and "out." The dog swallowed my wedding ring! I just hope he shits it back out!
2. rude slang To produce something of poor quality very quickly and with very little effort. A noun or pronoun can be used between "shit" and "out." You can tell he shat out the sequels as quickly as he could to capitalize on the success of the film adaptation. When I was an undergrad, I could shit an essay out the night before it was due and still manage to get an A.
shit the bed
rude slang To fail spectacularly or to a great degree. I can't believe we lost 17–1. Man, we really shit the bed tonight!
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. n. dung; feces. (Usually objectionable. Colloquial. Objectionable for many people. See the complete list of all entries with shit in the Index of Hidden Key Words.) Gee! I stepped in some shit!
2. in. to defecate. (Usually objectionable.) This dog needs to shit. Take it for a walk.
3. n. any trash or unwanted material; junk; clutter. (Usually objectionable.) Clean up this shit and don’t let this place get so messy.
4. n. a wretched person; a despised person. (Rude and derogatory.) You stupid shit! Look what you did!
5. n. one’s personal belongings. (see also get one’s shit together. Usually objectionable.) I gotta get my shit from the kitchen and get outa here.
6. n. lies; nonsense. (From bullshit. Usually objectionable.) All I ever hear out of you is shit.
7. tv. to deceive someone; to lie to someone. Stop shittin’ me, you bastard!
8. n. drugs, especially heroin or marijuana. (Usually objectionable.) You are going to have to get off this shit or you’re gonna die.
9. exclam. a general expression of disgust. (Usually Shit! Usually objectionable.) Oh, shit! What a mess!
shit a brick
tv. to be very upset; to be extremely angry. (Usually objectionable.) I was so mad, I almost shit a brick!
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.