shady


Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.

shady past

A dubious, suspicious, or potentially immoral or illegal past history. Investigators have begun looking into the shady past of the bankrupt company's CEO. I don't know, John, I wouldn't go out with a guy who has a shady past like that.
See also: past, shady

on the shady side of

slang Older than; more than. I'm much more concerned about my health now that I'm on the shady side of 60. You're on the shady side of 20, which means you need to start acting more responsibly.
See also: of, on, shady, side

shady character

 and a suspicious character
Fig. an untrustworthy person; a person who makes people suspicious. There is a suspicious character lurking about in the hallway. Please call the police.
See also: character, shady

shady deal

Fig. a questionable and possibly dishonest deal or transaction. The lawyer got caught making a shady deal with a convicted felon.
See also: deal, shady
References in classic literature ?
But at that time let me have a shady rock and wine of Biblis, a clot of curds and milk of drained goats with the flesh of an heifer fed in the woods, that has never calved, and of firstling kids; then also let me drink bright wine, sitting in the shade, when my heart is satisfied with food, and so, turning my head to face the fresh Zephyr, from the everflowing spring which pours down unfouled thrice pour an offering of water, but make a fourth libation of wine.
But the stories my father told me, sometimes odd enough stories to tell a little girl, as we wandered about the echoing rooms, or hung over the stone balustrade and fed the fishes in the lake, or picked the pale dog-roses in the hedges, or lay in the boat in a shady reed-grown bay while he smoked to keep the mosquitoes off, were after all only traditions, imparted to me in small doses from time to time, when his earnest desire not to raise his remarks above the level of dulness supposed to be wholesome for Backfische was neutralised by an impulse to share his thoughts with somebody who would laugh; whereas the place I was bound for on my latest pilgrimage was filled with living, first-hand memories of all the enchanted years that lie between two and eighteen.
One or other of those shady Englishmen to whom I have alluded, would get them the copy you have described.
In one of these streets, the cleanest of them all, and on the shady side of the way--for good housewives know that sunlight damages their cherished furniture, and so choose the shade rather than its intrusive glare--there stood the house with which we have to deal.
Sparsit, hiding in the window curtain, saw him languishing down the street on the shady side of the way, observed of all the town.
17, 2015 /PRNewswire/ --Eminem and Shady Records have partnered with Music Powered Games to release the new mobile gameShady Wars , which is available now for iOS and Android at http://shady.
In the Kandym-Hauzak-Shady-Kungrad EPSA, LUKoil holds 90% and UNG has the remaining 10%, with the Russian major to provide all the financing and bring on stream the Kuvachi and Alat Kandym gas fields as well as the northern part of Dengizkul field of the Shady sector by Dec.
The Shady Lady's Guide to Northeast Shade Gardening
SHADY MOVES: On the shady side of the garden, though, it's a different story.
Police crackdown in the past has been effective to curtail the menace to some extent but recent incidents have shown that these "enterprising" agents and shady dealers are back in business.
According to communication manager at TE Data Mervat Abu Shady, customers with hearing disabilities can request technical assistance through video conferences with trained TE Data agents and use sign language to communicate.
The West Shady area began production at the end of 2011, and is expected to be commissioned in 2014 with a substantial increase in production.
Ned explained that the "Sym" part was short for symmetrical and the "Shady" part was because of his shady nature in avoiding the waterhole.