Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
An act in which two people exchange looks indicating intense mutual sexual desires or attraction. I kept having eye sex with this guy across the bar, but he left before I had a chance to talk to him.
sex on a stick
vulgar slang An extremely sexually attractive person. Well, he's not exactly sex on a stick, but he's a kind, decent, and funny man, and he knows how to treat me right.
sex on legs
vulgar slang An extremely sexually attractive person. Well, he's not exactly sex on legs, but he's a kind, decent, and funny man, and he knows how to treat me right.
the sex talk
An informal lecture or conversation about reproduction and sexual intercourse, especially as given by parents to their children. I know it can be embarrassing and awkward having the sex talk with your kids, but it's important for them to know that they can come to you if they have any questions or concerns about sex as they enter puberty.
To have sexual intercourse with someone. A: "Did you have sex last night?" B: "Well that's a personal question!"
A physically and sexually attractive young woman. With some new clothes and makeup, I bet she would be quite a sex kitten.
One who is valued or regarded as a source of sexual pleasure. She was tired of being treated like a sex object, so she began dressing more conservatively and demanded more respect from the men within her social circle.
sex, drugs, and rock 'n' roll
A phrase used to indicate a wild, hedonistic lifestyle. Being a touring musician is not as exciting as it seems—it's definitely not all sex, drugs, and rock 'n' roll.
better than sex
Extremely enjoyable or pleasurable. You have to try some of this chocolate cake—it's better than sex! The exhilaration you feel when you reach the top of a mountain is better than sex.
the battle of the sexes
The ongoing struggles and conflicts that exist between men and women. Sure, men and women have some general differences, but the battle of the sexes is really just perpetuated by our outdated ideas of gender.
the fair(er) sex
Females. The term has come to be considered inappropriate due to its emphasis on the physical appearance of women and girls. Did he just say "members of the fairer sex"? I feel like I'm in a Victorian novel.
See also: sex
the opposite sex
Collectively, the members of the other gender, typically the gender to which one is attacted. I still remember the torture of being in middle school, suddenly so fascinated by but at once terrified of the opposite sex. I don't understand this tendency we have right now to demonize the opposite sex as some kind of enemy in a made-up social war.
1. slang To make someone or something more sexually attractive or alluring. A noun or pronoun can be used between "sex" and "up." Advertisers have been sexing up their advertisements for as long as advertising has existed—as the saying goes, "sex sells." Originally my character dressed much more modestly, but they wanted to sex me up for the movie.
2. slang To make something more interesting, exciting, or appealing, especially through embellishment, exaggeration, or sensationalism. A noun or pronoun can be used between "sex" and "up." As news articles moved from print to online distribution, publishers have had to rely on people seeking out and clicking on their material, which is why so many articles have been sexed up with sensationalist language and details normally reserved for tabloids. The CEO wants us to sex our report up for the investor's briefing with more exciting language.
3. vulgar slang To engage in sexual intercourse or activity with someone. A noun or pronoun can be used between "sex" and "up." He whispered in my ear that he wanted to sex me up. Wow, would you look at the bartender? I wouldn't mind sexing him up.
A video of two or more people, often celebrities, engaging in sexual acts, recorded privately and nonprofessionally, often but not always with the intention that it will only be seen by the parties involved. The term originated when such videos were recorded and distributed on videotape. These days, most sex tapes are released intentionally to boost some D-list celebrity's career.
the other sex; (from the point of view of a female) males; (from the point of view of a male) females. (Also with member of, as in the example.) Ann is crazy about the opposite sex. Bill is very shy when he's introduced to the opposite sex. Do members of the opposite sex make you nervous?
Girls or women, as in Many women would object to being called the fair sex nowadays. This euphemism uses fair in the sense of "physically beautiful" and is probably dying out. [Mid-1600s]
sex on legsan extremely sexually attractive person. informal
2004 Northern Rivers Echo News Yep, forget that sissy Richard Gere playing Lancelot, give me Hornblower's Ioan Gruffudd any day. The guy is sex on legs.
the ˌopposite ˈsexthe other sex: He found it difficult to talk to members of the opposite sex.
1. To increase the sexual appeal or content of someone or something: The producer sexed up the music video with scantily clad dancers. Because the club was bland, the owners decided to sex it up.
2. Chiefly British Slang To increase the appeal or attractiveness of something; embellish something: The committee sexed up the report with suggestions of conspiracy. Our website is boring—what if we sex it up with funky icons?
3. Vulgar Slang To arouse someone sexually.
n. a sexy-looking female movie or television star. I wonder what these sex goddesses look like when they get up in the morning.
n. a woman with enormous sexual potential. He thought he was getting a sex kitten, but she turned out to be just a plain cat.
n. one who flaunts one’s sexuality, usually a woman. About 20,000 young sex pots hit Hollywood every year hoping to be discovered.
n. a sexually promising person; a person obsessed with sex. Heidi looks like such a sex-machine, but she is a real wallflower.