second class(redirected from second-class)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia.
Related to second-class: Second class citizen
1. (Describing) travel seating and accommodation that is considered slightly inferior to the highest level (first class). Hyphenated if used before a noun. I always fly second class because it saves a huge amount of money. Even though I booked for first class, they only had second-class seats available.
2. Deemed to be less important or deserving of fair treatment than others. inferior to the highest level (first class). Hyphenated if used before a noun. We live in this neighborhood, too, and we should be allowed to voice our opinions, instead of being treated like second-class citizens! Voters from the region are urging leaders not to treat them like they are second class any longer.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. Inferior; see second best.
2. Travel accommodations ranking below the highest or first class, as in Traveling second class on European trains is not only cheaper but gives you more contact with local people . [c. 1840]
3. In the United States and Canada, a category of mail consisting of periodicals and newspapers. [c. 1870]
4. second-class citizen. An individual regarded or treated as inferior to others in status or rights, an underprivileged person. For example, In many countries women still are considered second-class citizens. This term uses second class in the sense of "inferior." [c. 1940]
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Idioms by Christine Ammer. Copyright © 2003, 1997 by The Christine Ammer 1992 Trust. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.