score off (someone or something)(redirected from score off (someone))
score off (someone or something)
1. In sports, to score a point from a particular situation or setup. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "score" and "off." She scored off the penalty kick, tying up the game with just seconds to go. Make sure you maintain your position so you can score a basket off the rebound.
2. In sports, to score a point as a direct result of some other action or occurrence. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "score" and "off." The talented midfielder scored off a throw-in from his teammate. Make sure you maintain your position so you can score a basket off the rebound.
3. In baseball, to score a run against a particular pitcher. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "score" and "off." Only one batter managed to score a run off Rodriguez throughout the entire game.
4. To manage to obtain something from someone or something for free. In this usage, a noun or pronoun is used between "score" and "off." I scored some concert tickets off my friend Mary. She works as a promoter, so she always gets them from bands' managers. I scored an extra chocolate bar off the vending machine in the lobby!
5. To outdo or gain an advantage over someone or something. Dad created a very competitive environment in our house, so my brother and I were constantly trying to score off each other with our achievements. It feels as though I'm scoring off life every time I harvest a vegetable out of my back garden.
6. To humiliate, deride, or say something at the expense of someone or something. Primarily heard in UK. Mark always makes a point of scoring off his cousin when they get into arguments as a way of flaunting his intellect. Following Senator Thompson's scandalous comments, his opponents wasted no time scoring off him in interviews and on social media.
7. To cross out or strike off some item on a list. In this usage, the object of the verb can also be placed between "score" and "off." Why did you score these items off the inventory? There should still be plenty in the warehouse. Score off the name of anyone who doesn't arrive before 9 PM.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.