scoop(redirected from scooper)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to scooper: Pooper scooper
scoop something out of somethingand scoop something Out
to remove something from something by dipping or scooping. She scooped the water out of the bottom of the rowboat. Karen scooped out the water.
scoop something up
to gather and remove something by scooping, dipping, or bailing. Karen scooped the nuts up and put them in a bag. Jill scooped up all the money she had won and left the poker table.
What's the scoop?
Inf. What is the news?; What's new with you? Bob: Did you hear about Tom? Mary: No, what's the scoop? "Hi, you guys!" beamed John's little brother. "What's the scoop?"
scoop the pool (or the kitty)be completely successful; gain everything.
In gambling games, the pool or kitty is the total amount of money that is staked.
1. To lift or collect something with a scoop or scooping motion: I scooped up a handful of jelly beans. The tractor scooped the dirt up and poured it in the hole.
2. To win or achieve something, especially a prize, easily: The movie scooped up numerous awards. We scooped another win up on Saturday.
1. n. a news story gathered by a reporter before any other reporter hears of it. I got a great scoop! I was right there when it happened.
2. tv. to beat someone—such as another reporter—in the race to get a news story first. They scooped the other paper on both stories.
3. n. a general roundup and arrest of criminals; a bust. (Underworld.) Bart got picked up in that big drug scoop last month.
4. n. liquor; a glass of beer. A little scoop helps pass the time when you’re waiting.
5. n. a folded matchbook cover used to snort cocaine or heroin. I need a scoop. It’s no good without one.
6. tv. & in. to snort cocaine or heroin, using a folded matchbook cover. He scooped two lines together.
What’s the scoop?
interrog. What is the news? “Hi, you guys!” beamed John’s little brother. “What’s the scoop?”