Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. adjective, slang Of, relating to, or affected with schizophrenia. Potentially offensive. The doctors told us there was a high chance that he was schizo, and that it simply went undiagnosed for most of his life. I can't forget my schizo medication, or this trip will be a total disaster.
2. adjective, slang By extension, seriously mentally ill. Potentially offensive. The horror film puts the protagonist in a mental institution among the schizo patients.
3. adjective, offensive slang Very mentally unstable or unpredictable; swinging wildly between emotional states or reactions. My schizo teacher totally flipped out at us in class today. Her dad can be a little schizo sometimes—totally chill on some days, then a completely controlling jerk on others.
4. noun, slang A person who has schizophrenia. Potentially offensive. Ever since I was diagnosed as a schizo, I've finally been able to get the treatment I need.
5. noun, slang By extension, a person who has a serious mental illness. Potentially offensive. I tried to help the woman on the corner, but I think she was a schizo or something because she didn't seem to understand what I was saying.
6. noun, offensive slang Someone who is mentally unstable or unpredictable; one whose emotional states or reactions swing wildly or unpredictably. My boss is a total schizo. One day he's praising everything we're doing, the next he's screaming and shouting at us. Why are you getting so upset? God, why do you have to be such a schizo?
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
schizo(ˈskɪzo and ˈskɪtso)
1. mod. schizophrenic. That gal is sort of schizo, isn’t she?
2. n. a schizophrenic person. That guy is an absolute schizo!
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.