scare (one) away from (something)(redirected from scare away from)
scare (one) away from (something)
To influence one to not do something or to avoid or stop doing something because they are frightened or intimidated. Stop making it sound way harder than it is. We don't want to scare the new guy away from the job on his first day! The posters are intended to scare kids away from trying cigarettes by showing their gruesome long-term effects.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
- (I) wouldn't (do something) if I were you
- (something) is the last straw
- (something) is the straw that broke the camel's back
- a fast talker
- (one) doesn't give a rip (about something)
- (one) doesn't give a hoot (about something)
- a/the feel of (something)
- all right
- a straw will show which way the wind blows
- (one) could use (something)