Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
scam on (one)
1. To attempt to swindle, hustle, or cheat one. There is a whole organization of people who try to scam on people over the phone and through email. I'm not scamming on you—I'm offering to sell you something for a fair price.
2. slang To attempt to seduce or romance one; to hit on one. Dinah said she had seen my boyfriend scamming on some girl outside a club the other night, but I didn't want to believe it. All Dave wants to do is go get hammered and spend the entire night scamming on girls. It gets so boring after a while.
What's the scam?and What's the deal?
Sl. What is going on around here? (Often implies that something seems to be wrong.) There's a big rumpus down the hall. What's the scam? I gave you a twenty, and you give me five back? What's the deal? Where's my other five?
1. n. a swindle; a hustle. I lost a fortune in that railroad scam.
2. tv. to swindle someone; to deceive someone. They were scammed by a sweet-talking southern lady who took all their money.
3. in. to seek out and pick up young women, said of males. (Collegiate.) Bob was out scamming last night and ran into Clare.
4. in. to copulate. All you ever want to do is scam.
5. in. to fool around and waste time. Quit scamming and get busy.
What’s the scam?and What’s the deal?
interrog. What is going on around here?; Explain what is happening or what you are doing. What’s the scam? What’s happening, dude? I gave you a twenty, and you give me five back? What’s the deal? Where’s my other five?