saint

(redirected from saints)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to saints: Patron saints, Panthers, Falcons

(something) is enough to plague a saint

Something is so trying or frustrating as to bother even the most patient person. Being with screaming kids all day is enough to plague a saint. I've always thought that hassle of navigating the crowds during the Black Friday sales is enough to plague a saint.
See also: enough, plague, saint

enough to plague a saint

So trying or frustrating as to bother even the most patient person. The annoying action can be stated between "enough" and "to." Being with screaming kids all day is enough to plague a saint. The kids have really let loose today with enough shrieking to plague a saint.
See also: enough, plague, saint

have the patience of a saint

To have an immense and unyielding degree of patience, especially in the face of problems or difficulty. This field of work requires people to have the patience of a saint, so if you're looking for immediate results, you're in the wrong profession. My sister is amazing. She has five unruly children, but she has the patience of a saint with every single one of them.
See also: have, of, patience, saint

the patience of a saint

An immense and unyielding degree of patience, especially in the face of problems or difficulty. This field of work requires the patience of a saint, so if you're looking for immediate results, you're in the wrong profession. My sister is amazing. She has five unruly children, but she has the patience of a saint with every single one of them.
See also: of, patience, saint

the patience of Job

An immense and unyielding degree of patience and conviction, especially in the face of problems or difficulty. A reference to the biblical figure Job, whose absolute faith in God remained unshaken despite the numerous afflictions set upon himself, his family, and his estate by Satan. This field of work requires the patience of Job, so if you're looking for immediate results, you're in the wrong profession. My sister is amazing. She has five unruly children, but she has the patience of Job with every single one of them.
See also: job, of, patience

enough something to plague a saint

 and something is enough to plague a saint
Rur. enough of something to annoy even a patient person. That little boy has enough curiosity to plague a saint! Sally's a well-meaning woman, but her endless gossiping is enough to plague a saint.
See also: enough, plague, saint

have the patience of a saint

 and have the patience of Job
Fig. to have a great deal of patience. Steve has the patience of Job given the way his wife nags him. Dear Martha has the patience of a saint; she raised six children by herself.
See also: have, of, patience, saint

the patience of a ˈsaint/of ˈJob

very great patience: I don’t know how she does it — she’s got the patience of a saint, that woman!You need the patience of Job to deal with customers like that.Job was a character in the Bible who lost his family, his home and his possessions, but still did not reject God.
See also: job, of, patience, saint
References in periodicals archive ?
This galvanised Saints into over-running their opponents, hitting them with four tries before the break with a brace from Sam Hiddleston and one each for Joe Strain and Rob Douglas.
According to ESPN's Football Power Index's matchup predictor, the Saints have a 63.2 percent chance of winning, while the Rams have a 36.8 percent chance.
The home team switched up their defence and the Saints usual flowing scoring game began to disappear as they struggled for points.
A total of 54 children, aged one to 12, dressed as their favorite saints and marched on the streets of Barangay Sikatuna Village during the annual Parade of Saints of the Parish of the Lord of Divine Mercy (PLDM).
President Duterte on Thursday again mocked the Catholic Church, this time about the celebration of All Saints' Day and All Souls' Day.
When hopelessly lost, a prayer to Saint Jude, one of the 12 apostles of Jesus, may solve your predicament.
Each brightly coloured page gives a comprehensive amount of detail on a different Saint, and includes beautiful images and illustrations, when they lived, their feast day and what they are patron of, and is written in a very engaging style.
Division One: Heaton Saints 1 Stockton Church United 2 Fixtures Premier Division: Jesmond Parish Church v Stockton Churches Portrack, Newcastle Christian Life Centre United v Consett Saint Patrick's, Saint Ignatius Saint Aidan's Sunderland v North Shields Community Christians, South Bank Family Church v Saint Charles RC Church Gosforth.
The Catholic Church with a different approach to God, saw a saint giving a personal access to God, and allocated different saints to different crafts, professions, and they were people who suffered for their faith.
Saint Des Saints was a high-class young hurdler in France, with seven wins at Auteuil, including at Grade 2 and 3 level.
The medieval Italian town of Gubbio has played host to its traditional "saints' race".
I CAME TO THE STORIES OF THE SAINTS IN A RATHER unusual way--and one I don't expect any of you to share: I wrote for a Catholic homily preparation resource, and part of that work involved saying something about the feast days of the saints in the liturgical calendar.
Saints Behaving Badly The Cutthroats, Crooks, Trollops, Con Men, and Devil-Worshippers Who Became Saints WRITTEN BY Thomas J.
An elegant handbook of hagiography, the Mornins' compendium allies a brief biography of 137 saints with sculpture, painting and fresco, marble and stone relief, stained glass, woodcut, plaster, prayer card, and mosaic images rich in symbol and period detail.