Also found in: Dictionary.
1. To fit a saddle onto an animal, especially a horse, in order to ride it. Norm, go saddle up the horses for our guests, please. saddled up, saddles up, saddling up
2. To sit in an animal's saddle in order to ride it. There's a storm coming—we'd better saddle up and head back to the ranch.
1. Lit. to prepare one's horse for riding by putting a saddle on it. Let's saddle up and go for a ride.
2. Fig. to mount one's horse and sit in the saddle. The cowboys saddled up and took off after the rustlers.
1. To put a saddle on a horse: The cowboys saddled up and rode off.
2. To put a saddle on some animal: The cowboy saddled up three horses for the other riders. Some camels don't like it if you saddle them up at night.