rush(redirected from rushing them)
Like this video? Subscribe to our free daily email and get a new idiom video every day!
1. noun, dated slang An exceptional or excessive lavishing of attention on someone, especially a woman, so as to woo them or gain their affections. He had been giving her the rush for months, but Mary showed no signs of interest in him.
2. verb, dated slang To attempt to woo (someone, especially a woman) with an exceptional or excessive lavishing of attention. All the men in our town set about rushing my sister the moment it became public knowledge that she was single again.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. n. a quick print of a day’s shooting of a film. (Filmmaking. Usually plural.) After today’s shooting, we’ll watch yesterday’s rushes.
2. n. a period of time when fraternities and sororities are permitted to pursue new members. (Collegiate.) When does rush start this year?
3. tv. [for a fraternity or sorority member] to try to persuade someone to join. They can’t rush anyone except during rush week.
4. tv. to court or date someone, usually a woman. (From sense 3) He spent some time trying to rush her but had to give up.
5. n. a burst of energy or good feeling from a drug; the explosive euphoria of some kinds of drugs. (Drugs.) What kind of rush does this have?
6. n. any excitement; any burst of good feeling. (From sense 5) The wonderful ending to the movie gave me a rush.
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.
- a (sudden) rush of blood (to the head)
- a mad rush
- a rush of blood
- a rush on (something)
- a tearing hurry
- a tearing hurry/rush
- a tearing rush
- adrenaline rush
- be run off (one's) feet
- be rushed off (one's) feet
- be/get run/rushed off your feet
- bum rush
- bum's rush
- bum's rush, to give/get the
- fools rush in
- fools rush in where angels fear to tread
- get run off (one's) feet
- get rushed off (one's) feet
- get the bum's rush
- give (one) the bum's rush
- give somebody/get the bum's rush
- give someone the bum's rush
- have a (sudden) rush of blood to the head
- have a rush of blood to the head
- in a mad rush
- in a rush
- in no rush
- mad rush
- not in a/any rush
- off someone's feet
- rush (one) off (one's) feet
- rush (one's) fences
- rush (something) into print
- rush (something) to print
- rush around like a blue-arsed fly
- rush at
- rush at (someone or something)
- rush for
- rush for (someone or something)
- rush hour
- rush in
- rush into
- rush into (something)
- rush into print
- rush off
- rush on
- rush out
- rush out of
- rush out of (something or some place)
- rush through
- rush to
- rush to (someone, something, or some place)
- rush to conclusions
- rush to the hospital
- rush up (to someone or something)
- rush your fences
- rushed off your feet