run (something) by (one)(redirected from runs it by me)
run (something) by (one)
1. To explain or describe something to one; to inform one about something. I have an idea I'd like to run by you. OK, run the plan by me one more time.
2. To obtain one's permission for something. You'll need to run that by the boss before you do it. Please run those kinds of decisions by me next time, OK?
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
run something by (someone) (again)
to explain something to someone again; to say something to someone again. I didn't hear you. Please run that by me again. Please run it by so we can all hear it.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
run by someone
Try out on someone, as in Let me run this idea by you and see what you think of it. [Colloquial; 1900s]
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Idioms by Christine Ammer. Copyright © 2003, 1997 by The Christine Ammer 1992 Trust. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. To run near or alongside someone or something: We were walking in the woods when suddenly a big moose ran by.
2. To encounter something while walking or running: We ran by two waterfalls during our hike in the mountains.
3. To tell, explain, or demonstrate something to someone: Please run those instructions by me again—I didn't hear them all.
4. To come to some place for a brief period of time: I ran by the store after work to pick up some milk.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Phrasal Verbs. Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.