run past (someone or something)(redirected from running past us)
To pass (someone or something) while running. The kids ran right past without even saying hello. The boss ran past before I had a chance to ask him about the meeting.
run past (someone or something)
1. Literally, to pass someone or something while running. The kids ran right past me without even saying hello. She always runs past our house in the morning in order to catch the 9:15 bus.
2. To carry someone or something to move beyond someone or something else while running. In this usage, a noun or pronoun is used between "run" and "past." The tight end ran the football past the defensive line and made a break for the end zone. Please run those kinds of decisions past me next time, OK?
3. To proceed or progress beyond some limit or threshold. The project has already run past its budget. Our debate was so intense that we ran way past our 60-minute time limit.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. To run near or alongside someone or something from one side to the other: A flock of wild turkeys ran past the barn.
2. To overtake someone or something by running: I was leading in the race, but then someone ran past me.
3. To continue later than some time: I will be late for dinner because our meeting will run past 7:00.
4. To tell, explain, or demonstrate something to someone: He ran many ideas past us, but we disliked them all.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Phrasal Verbs. Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.