beat one's head against the wall(redirected from run one's head against)
beat (one's) head against a/the wall
To attempt continuously and fruitlessly to accomplish some task or achieve some goal that is or seems ultimately hopeless. Some people are never going to agree with you on this, so it's no use beating your head against a wall trying to convince everyone. I feel like I've been beating my head against the wall trying to understand this math equation.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
beat one's head against the wall
Also, bang or run one's head against or into a brick wall . Waste one's time in a hopeless enterprise, as in I have tried many times to convince him to stop smoking, but I'm beating my head against a brick wall . The metaphoric phrase alludes to a physical expression of frustration. [Late 1500s] Also see beat the air.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Idioms by Christine Ammer. Copyright © 2003, 1997 by The Christine Ammer 1992 Trust. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- bang (one's) head into a brick wall
- beat (one's) head against a/the wall
- beat head against the wall
- beat (one's) head against a stone wall
- knock (one's) head against a (brick) wall
- knock (one's) head against a/the wall
- knock head against a brick wall
- bang your head against a brick wall
- bang (one's) head against a brick wall
- bang (one's) head against a wall