rule someone or something with a rod of iron
rule with a rod of iron
To rule, govern, or control a group or population with complete power over all aspects of life, work, etc. He rules with a rod of iron, and moves swiftly to gain control over any entity that is not already in his grasp. She has ruled this company with a rod of iron for three decades, and it's going to be difficult for her to let go of control.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
rule someone or something with a rod of ironcontrol or govern someone or something very strictly or harshly.
This expression comes from Psalm 2:9: ‘Thou shalt break them with a rod of iron; thou shalt dash them in pieces like a potter's vessel’.
Farlex Partner Idioms Dictionary © Farlex 2017
- rule with a rod of iron
- rule with a rod of iron/with an iron hand
- rule with an iron fist
- rule with an iron hand
- rule with an iron hand/rod, to
- rule with an iron rod
- iron hand (in a velvet glove), to rule with an
- rule with a velvet glove
- (Someone or something) called, they want their (something) back!
- a rotten apple spoils the (whole) barrel