round up(redirected from rounds it up)
round (someone or something) up
To gather or organize a group of people or things together. Would you mind rounding up the students so we can start the recital? We've rounded every product up that contains the toxic ingredient.
To use a higher or the next-highest number, especially so as to eliminate decimal places. (Usually done when the non-whole number is .5 or greater; lower than that, and the number would typically be rounded down.) A noun or pronoun can be used between "round" and "up." Most stores mark their prices at .99 instead of rounding them up to whole numbers. The accountant had been using the exact numbers from the sales data, while I had been rounding them up when doing my own calculations.
round someone or something up
to locate and gather someone or something. Please round the suspects up for questioning. The police rounded up the two possible suspects.
round something up
1. to collect a group of people or things; to organize people or things into a group. The cowboys rounded up the cattle for market. See if you can round some helpers up.
2. to change a number to the next higher whole number. (See also round off to something.) I rounded up 8.789 to 9. You should round $65.99 up to $66.
Collect or gather in a body, as in We'll have to round up some more volunteers for the food drive, or The police rounded up all the suspects. This term comes from the West, where since the mid-1800s it has been used for collecting livestock by riding around the herd and driving the animals together. By about 1875 it was extended to other kinds of gathering together.
1. To herd some cattle together from various places: In the evening it's time to round up the herd. The ranchers rounded the younger cattle up to brand them.
2. To seek out and bring some people or things together; gather some people or things: We rounded up all of our neighbors to help clean the park. Go out and round the kids up for dinner.
3. To change some exact number to the nearest whole number above it: The statistician rounded 4.612 up to 5. When you take the test, round up your answers.