round the bend
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to round the bend: around the bend
(a)round the bend
1. In close proximity to another location. Said especially when traveling by car, often when literally approaching a bend. The store isn't far from here, it's just around the bend.
2. slang Crazy It's freezing today, and you're not going to wear a coat? Have you gone around the bend?
3. slang Intoxicated from drugs or alcohol. Do you remember last night at all? You were really around the bend!
See also: bend
*(a)round the bend
1. Fig. crazy; having lost sanity. (*Typically: be ~; go ~.) I think this job is sending me around the bend. She sounds like she's round the bend already.
2. intoxicated from alcohol or drugs. (*Typically: be ~; go ~.) One more of those, and you'll be around the bend. From the glassy look in her eyes, I'd say she is completely round the bend now.
round the bendmainly BRITISH, INFORMAL
COMMON If someone is round the bend, their ideas or behaviour are very strange or foolish. I actually used to look at mountaineers and think they were a little bit round the bend. If anyone told me a few months ago that I'd meet a marvellous person like you, I'd have said they were round the bend.
round the bendverb
See around the bend