Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Very unpleasant or undesirable. What rotten weather. I guess we won't be having a picnic today.
2. Very poor or unsatisfactory. The plumber I hired was cheap, but he did a rotten job. I guess you get what you pay for.
3. Very unwell. A: "You look like you're coming down with the flu." B: "Yeah, I feel pretty rotten."
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2022 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. mod. smelly; disgusting. (Not slang.) What is that rotten smell?
2. mod. alcohol intoxicated. (see also putrid.) It takes a case of beer to get Wilbur rotten.
3. mod. poor or bad. (From sense 1) We have nothing but one rotten problem after another.
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.
- a (poor, pathetic, etc.) excuse for a (type of person or thing)
- a bad apple
- a bad/rotten apple
- a rotten apple
- a rotten apple spoils the (whole) barrel
- a rotten apple spoils the (whole) bunch
- a rotten apple spoils the (whole) bushel
- a rotten egg
- bad egg
- be a rotten apple
- be a rotten egg
- be rotten to the core
- early ripe, early rotten
- is rotten in Denmark
- last one in is a rotten egg
- one rotten apple spoils the (whole) barrel
- one rotten apple spoils the (whole) bunch
- one rotten apple spoils the (whole) bushel
- rotten apple
- rotten apple spoils the barrel
- rotten apple spoils the barrel, a
- rotten egg
- rotten luck
- rotten through and through
- rotten to the core
- rotten tomato
- something is rotten in (the state of) Denmark
- something is rotten in the state of Denmark
- spoil (one) rotten
- spoil somebody rotten
- spoiled rotten
- there's a rotten apple in every barrel