Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. noun A liquor that is particularly strong, inexpensive, and inferior in quality, especially whiskey or rum. I don't know how you can drink that rotgut all the time. Just a couple shots were enough to make me sick as a dog! Don't be a cheapskate and load up on rotgut for the party. Let's actually enjoy what we're drinking tonight!
2. adjective Used as a modifier to describe such a liquor. He showed up to the party with a liter of rotgut whiskey, and several of us were puking our guts out by the time we were finished. That's the last time I drink rotgut vodka. I've got the worst headache of my entire life this morning!
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2022 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. n. strong or inferior liquor, especially whiskey. (Folksy.) The old man nearly went blind drinking all that rotgut.
2. mod. [of liquor] strong or fiery. You’ve got to stop drinking that rotgut liquor and think of your health.
3. n. weak or otherwise inferior beer. She can afford something better, but she drinks nothing but cheap rotgut.
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.