rise up(redirected from rises up)
1. To move vertically, especially at a smooth, consistent pace. It was amazing watching all those hot air balloons rising up at the same time. He clutched the seat and shut his eyes the moment he felt the plane rise up into the air.
2. To move into a standing position after sitting, kneeling, or lying down. After the prayer, we all rose up from our knees to sing a hymn. He tried to rise up out of bed, but he was so weak that he collapsed back onto his pillow.
3. To increase in amount or intensity, especially at a smooth, consistent pace. The chorus rose up in a majestic surge of music, leaving the listeners shaken with emotion and As the rains continued to pour down, the swimming pool began rising up until it overflowed and flooded the back yard.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. to come up; to ascend. The water is rising up fast. You had better get to higher ground. As the water rose up, it covered the fields and streets.
2. to get up from lying down. The deer rose up and darted off into the woods. I rose up and brushed my clothing.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
1. To assume a standing position after lying, sitting, or kneeling: The kindergartners rose up after naptime and resumed their activities.
2. To travel upward: The hot air balloon is rising up above the clouds.
3. To rise into view, especially from below the horizon: The campers were eating breakfast when they saw the sun rise up over the mountains.
4. To increase in pitch or volume; swell: In the final chorus, the altos rose up above the other voices.
5. To surge from an inner source; well up: Even though the situation seemed desperate, I felt hope rise up within me.
6. To stage a resistance or revolt; rebel: The migrant workers rose up against the unfair wages.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Phrasal Verbs. Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.