rip (someone or something) to pieces(redirected from rips him to pieces)
rip (someone or something) to pieces
1. Literally, to tear someone or something into several pieces. The dog got ahold of my report and ripped it to pieces! I know there's a stereotype that sharks will rip swimmers to pieces the moment they have the chance, but this is simply not true.
2. To cause great damage, disorder, or ruin to someone or something. Enjoy the tranquility and order of your house now because soon, your kids will start ripping the place to pieces. Sarah's very first opponent in amateur boxing ripped her to pieces, but that's how it goes for most novice fighters.
3. To criticize, upbraid, or condemn someone or something severely or thoroughly. A: "Have you heard anything about this movie we're about to see?" B: "Well, one reviewer ripped it to pieces, but I still think it's going to be great." I hear John's bosses ripped him to pieces at his annual performance review.
rip someone or something to something
1. Lit. to tear someone or something into small pieces, expressed as bits, pieces, shreds, etc. If you fall into that lawn mower, it will rip you to pieces. The lawn mower ripped the newspaper to tiny bits.
2. Fig. to criticize someone or something mercilessly. The critics ripped Gerald to pieces even though the audience just loved his show. They ripped the whole production to pieces.
See also: rip