rip down(redirected from rips her down)
1. To rip or pull something down from a high surface or mount, especially in a violent, forceful manner. A noun or pronoun can be used between "rip" and "down." The warden went around ripping down pictures and posters hanging up in the prisoners' cells. He ripped Janet's picture down from the wall of his dorm room after she broke up with him.
2. To dismantle or disassemble a large object or structure. A noun or pronoun can be used between "rip" and "down." After the concert, we'll need everyone on hand to help rip down the set. I can't wait for them to finish the construction on our building so they can finally rip all this scaffolding down.
3. To demolish a large object or structure. A noun or pronoun can be used between "rip" and "down." I can't believe they haven't ripped that old building down yet. The group of protestors descended on the square and ripped down the statue of the dictator.
4. To deride, vilify, or excoriate someone. A noun or pronoun can be used between "rip" and "down." The director has long been a bully, ripping down those around him who would dare challenge his authority. I don't understand why she's always ripping me down in front of other people. She's so much nicer to me when we're on our own.
5. To travel down or along something very quickly. The kids ripped down the stairs to see what Santa Claus had brought them for Christmas. The motorcycle ripped down the street in an ostentatious display of speed and motor power.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
rip something down
to tear something down. (Alludes to something that has been posted or mounted.) The custodian ripped all the posters down at the end of the day. He ripped down the posters.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.