rip(redirected from rips)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Acronyms, Encyclopedia.
Related to rips: trips
An initialism of "rest in peace," a standard phrase used to communicate sympathy and respect for one who has died. The term derives from the Latin phrase "requiescat in pace." I don't mind what you write on my tombstone, though I'd prefer not to have RIP emblazoned across it. "RIP, my sweet friend," said the note that she tucked into the casket.
1. n. a drinking bout. (see also tear.) Fred had another rip last night. He’s rotten now.
2. n. the loot from a rip-off. Give him some of the rip and tell him to beat it.
3. n. a theft; a rip-off. The crooks pulled a rip on Fourth Street last night.
4. n. a tear in the flesh of the hand, as in an athletic event where the flesh comes in contact with solid material, such as in gymnastics and weightlifting. I keep getting rips from the bar.
- (one) doesn't give a rip (about something)
- don’t give a rip
- let (something) rip
- let her rip
- Let her rip!
- let it rip
- let one rip
- let rip
- let something rip
- rip (someone or something) apart
- rip (someone or something) in half
- rip (someone or something) in twain
- rip (someone or something) in two
- rip (someone or something) out of (something)
- rip (someone or something) to bits
- rip (someone or something) to pieces
- rip (someone or something) to shreds
- rip apart
- rip away
- rip down
- rip in half
- rip into
- rip off
- rip on
- rip on (one)
- rip on someone
- rip out
- rip out of
- rip snorter
- rip somebody/something apart/to shreds, bits, etc.
- rip someone off
- rip something off
- rip the heart out of (something)
- rip to
- rip up
- rip/tear the heart out of something
- rip-off artist
- rip-off merchant
- rip-snorting mad