rig up(redirected from rigging up)
1. To equip, fit, or provide with a harness. A noun or pronoun can be used between "rig" and "up." Once we rig you up, you'll be suspended about 20 meters above the ground. I just need to rig up the lights, and then the set will be finished.
2. To set up or connect something, especially in a hasty, haphazard, or unconventional manner. A noun or pronoun can be used between "rig" and "up." I rigged the sound system up to play sound from my computer and the television at the same time. He's rigging up a system of pulleys so that we can pass tools and supplies up and down from the roof without using the ladder.
3. To erect or construct something, especially in a hasty, haphazard manner. We rigged up some makeshift scaffolding so we could access the alarm system up near the roof of the house. The kids are rigging up a stage to perform the play they wrote.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
rig something up
to prepare something, perhaps on short notice or without the proper materials. We don't have what's needed to make the kind of circuit you have described, but I think we can rig something up anyway. We will rig up whatever you need.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
1. To equip something: She took the fishing rod out of the case and rigged it up. He rigged up the guitar with some new strings.
2. To make or construct something in haste or in a makeshift manner: We rigged up a pulley to lift the shingles to the roof. They rigged a tent up using a sheet and three thick sticks.
3. To connect something to something in haste or in a makeshift manner: Let's rig the computer up to the stereo so we can play music off the hard drive. I rigged up the old record player and put on an album.
4. rig up in To dress, clothe, or adorn someone in something: They rigged the dancers up in elaborate gowns.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Phrasal Verbs. Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.