rest against (someone or something)(redirected from rested us against)
rest against (someone or something)
1. To lean or recline against someone or something; to be propped lightly against someone or something else. There's a big piece of sheet metal resting against the side of the barn that you can use. We took turns resting against each other while we waited in line.
2. To cause someone or something to lean or recline against someone or something; to prop someone or something lightly up against someone or something else. In this usage, a noun or pronoun is used between "rest" and "against." We had to rest the injured soldier against the side of a tree while we scouted the surrounding area. You can just rest that mirror against the wall for the time being. Sorry, let me just rest this against you while I get the hooks drilled into the wall.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
rest something against something
to lean or position something against something, allowing it to bear part of the weight of the thing being rested. Rest the heavy end of the box against the wall and we'll slide it down the stairs. Please rest the board against something solid while you paint it.
rest against someone or something
to lean against someone or something; to take a rest period positioned against someone or something. The child rested against his father until it was time to board the train. A fishing pole rested against the side of the garage, ready to go to work.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
- fortify (someone or something) against (something) with (something)
- avenge (oneself) against (someone or something)
- compete against
- compete against (someone or something)
- institute (something) against (someone or something)
- institute against
- demonstrate against
- demonstrate against (someone or something)