report to (someone or something)(redirected from reports me to)
report to (someone or something)
1. To present oneself to someone or appear at some location as instructed. I have to report to my parole officer every Friday afternoon. Please report to the center for immigration to renew your work permit.
2. To be under the authority or supervision of some person, office, group, or organization. With all due respect, I report to the president and no one else. Following the promotion, you will henceforth report to the company's global headquarters in Detroit.
3. To give a formal account of some information to some person, office, group, or organization. In this usage, a noun or pronoun is used between "report" and "to." We are going to report our findings to the board of directors next week. Please report such complaints to the HR department.
4. To inform a person, office, or institution of authority of someone's bad or illegal behavior. In this usage, a noun or pronoun is used between "report" and "to." I can't believe you reported me to the principal—I thought we were friends! The doctor reported his patient to the police.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
report something to someone
to present a body of information to someone. Please report the results to the supervisor. The event was reported to the proper person.
report to someone or something
1. to present oneself to someone or an office. You must report to me for duty at noon. They told me to report to this office at this time.
2. to be supervised by someone or an office. When you start work here, you will report to Mrs. Franklin. I report directly to the home office.
3. to return to someone or an office and make a report. Please report to me when you have the results. If you have any more to say, please report to headquarters and tell the whole story.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.