relate (something) to (something)(redirected from relates to)
relate (something) to (something)
To associate something with something else; to establish something as being similar to or connected with something else. I guess I'd relate the experience to being on a roller coaster.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
relate something to someone
to tell something to someone; to narrate something to someone. Very slowly, she related the events of the past week to her parents. I have an interesting story to relate to you.
relate something to something
to associate something to something. I relate this particular problem to the failure of the company to provide proper training. This point is related to what I just told you.
relate to someone or something
to understand, accept, or feel kinship with someone or something. He relates to people well. I really don't relate to your thinking at all.
*related to someone
connected through blood kinship or through marriage to someone. (*Typically: be ~; become ~.) I wonder if he is related to you, because he looks a little like you. I am not related to anyone here.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
1. To have a connection, relation, or reference to something: My question relates to your earlier work.
2. To establish a connection, relation, or reference between one thing and another: She related the painful experience to having a tooth pulled at the dentist.
3. To narrate or relay some information to someone; tell something to someone: When he related the story to us, he left out the part about himself.
4. To have or establish a reciprocal relationship with someone; interact with someone: Your child seems to relate well to her peers.
5. To empathize or identify with someone or something: I simply can't relate to such an extreme viewpoint.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Phrasal Verbs. Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.