reek(redirected from reeky)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus.
lang may yer lum reek
Used to express well wishes to someone, especially as part of a toast or farewell. The phrase literally means "long may your chimney smoke." Primarily heard in Scotland. I just cannae believe ye'r leaving. Lang may yer lum reek, chum!
reek of (something)
1. To smell very potently of something unpleasant. My hands always reek of garlic after I have to chop it up. He came down for his prom reeking of his dad's aftershave. The house reeks of wet dog—open the window!
2. To have a lot of or give the strong impression of something particularly unpleasant, offensive, or insidious. The deal struck by the government and the corporate lobbying groups reeks of corruption. The verdict of the trial reeks of prejudice.
reek with (something)
To smell very potently of something unpleasant. My hands always reek with garlic after I have to chop it up. He came down for his prom reeking with his dad's aftershave. The house reeks with wet dog—open the window!
See also: reek
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
reek of something
1. Lit. to have the stench or smell of something. This whole house reeks of onions! What did you cook? She reeks of a very strong perfume. She must have spilled it on herself.
2. Fig. to give a strong impression of something. The neighborhood reeks of poverty. The deal reeked of dishonesty. reek with something to stink with some smell. This place reeks with some horrible odor. Jane reeks with too much perfume.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
1. To give off or have some strong, unpleasant odor: The kitchen reeks of rotten eggs.
2. To be full of something distasteful or offensive: The report reeks of bigotry. The whole incident reeks of corruption.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Phrasal Verbs. Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.