record from (something)(redirected from record it from)
record from (something)
1. To make an audio or video recording or broadcast from or within a particular location. We had to record from my basement until we'd saved up enough money to start using a real studio. The crew is going to be recording from the Los Angeles at the premiere of the new film.
2. To use a particular recording device to capture audio or video. It's our first time recording from this new microphone, so I apologize if the sound seems off or inconsistent at all. The cyclist had been recording from a head-mounted camera, so he had video-evidence of the driver's culpability in the accident.
3. To capture an audio or video recording using a particular kind of device. In this usage, a noun or pronoun is used between "record" and "from." We're recording most of the album from a vintage microphone to give it a really authentic sound. The undercover journalist recorded the entire conversation from a camera hidden within her briefcase.
4. To be able to detect and record audio or video from a particular direction or distance. This 360-degree camera records from every direction simultaneously. The microphone on this phone can record accurately from nearly 200 feet away.
5. To make an audio or video recording from a particular direction or distance. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "record" and "from" to specify what is being recorded. The private detective recorded the woman's conversation with her lover from across the street on a rooftop balcony. You can only record audio from one direction on this microphone, so make sure it is facing the right way.
6. To make an audio or video record of something captured from some particular source. In this usage, a noun or pronoun is used between "record" and "from." We've recorded testimony from nearly 20 witnesses who were present during the crime. I'm recording footage from the latest build of our new video game. We're going to record from the part of the brain that is responsible for impulse control to see if something is perhaps not fully developed.
See also: record
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
record something from something
to make an audio or video recording of something from some source. Listen to this. I recorded it from a radio broadcast. From what TV show did you record this?
See also: record
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.