Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. noun, slang A newspaper, especially one focusing on tawdry, scandalous, or sensationalized stories. I don't know how you read this rag. Everything in here is pure drivel. His face was plastered on every rag in every supermarket across the country. Suddenly, everyone had an opinion about what had happened in his marriage.
2. noun, vulgar slang A sanitary napkin used during a girl's or woman's menstrual cycle. Used especially in the phrase "on the rag"; often considered offensive. A: "Sorry about the way my girlfriend was acting, I think she's on the rag." B: "Dude, that is a pretty ignorant thing to say. Plus, you were being a total jerk, so I don't blame her for getting upset." I think I need to see my gynecologist. I've been having to change my rag every hour or so, which is way more than normal for me.
3. verb, slang To scold, criticize, or berate (someone). You shouldn't rag Tom so much. You know he means well.
4. verb, slang To tease or taunt (someone). Oh, lighten up. I'm only ragging you!
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. n. a newspaper. What a rag! It’s only good for putting in the bottom of bird cages!
2. n. ugly or badly styled clothing; an ugly garment. I can’t wear that rag!
3. n. any clothing, even the best. (Always plural.) Man, I got some new rags that will knock your eyes out!
4. n. a sanitary napkin; a tampon. (For use in the menstrual cycle. Usually objectionable.) God, I’ve got to change this rag!
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.
- a red rag to a bull
- be like a red flag to a bull
- be like a red rag to a bull
- chew the fat
- chew the fat/rag, to
- chew the rag
- don't that take the rag off the bush!
- don't that tear the rag off the bush!
- from rags to riches
- glad rags
- go from rags to riches
- in (one's) glad rags
- in rags
- in your glad rags
- like a rag doll
- limp dishrag
- limp rag
- live off smell of an oily rag
- live on the smell of an oil rag
- live on the smell of an oily rag
- lose (one's) rag
- lose your rag
- on the rag
- part brass rags with
- part brass rags with (one)
- rag about (someone or something)
- rag bagger
- rag doll
- rag off
- rag on
- rag on (one)
- rag on someone
- rag out
- rag the puck
- rag, tag, and bobtail
- rags to riches
- rags to riches, from
- red flag/rag to a bull, like a
- run off the smell of an oily rag
- run on the smell of an oily rag
- soldier rag
- tag and rag
- take the rag off the bush
- tear the rag off the bush
- the rag trade
- the smell of an oily rag
- wet dishrag
- wet rag
- wet sock