queer(redirected from queerish)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical.
1. verb To ruin or upset something. You're going to queer the whole thing if you keep asking so many questions!
2. noun A derogatory and highly offensive term for a homosexual, bisexual, transgender, or otherwise non-heterosexual or non-cisgender person.
3. noun A reclaimed term (see Definition 2) used by homosexual, bisexual, transgender, or otherwise non-heterosexual or non-cisgender people to self-identify as such. Yeah, I'm a queer, a dude who likes dudes. So what?
4. noun, slang Alcohol, especially when it is not allowed (such as during Prohibition). You better not get caught drinking that queer in here.
5. adjective Very strange. Everyone could tell he was a queer one as soon as he walked into the party with his mismatched clothing.
6. adjective A derogatory and highly offensive term used to describe a homosexual, bisexual, transgender, or otherwise non-heterosexual or non-cisgender person.
7. adjective A reclaimed term (see Definition 6) used by homosexual, bisexual, transgender, or otherwise non-heterosexual or non-cisgender people to self-identify as such or to describe related issues, interests, etc. Being queer shouldn't mean having to be treated as a second-class citizen. Queer literature is having a renaissance.
8. adjective Describing a sensibility or perspective that rejects the notion that there are only two distinct gender identities. That haircut really suits her queer aesthetic.
9. adjective Having a focus on sex and gender, especially that which is non-heteronormative. Couldn't we also do a queer reading of this text?
10. adjective Fraudulent or illegitimate. Don't show me those queer financial records—I don't want to know anything about your seedy doings!
11. adjective, slang Drunk. Do you remember last night at the bar at all? You were really queer.
slang Made or turned into a non-heterosexual. Often but not always used in an offensive derogatory manner. He said he didn't want to join the wrestling team because he was afraid of getting queered by having so much physical contact with other guys. That was so amazing. If I weren't already gay, I think I would have gotten queered by watching it.
See also: queer
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. mod. counterfeit. I don’t want any queer money.
2. n. illicit liquor, especially whiskey. (Prohibition era.) This isn’t queer; it’s left over from before prohibition.
3. mod. alcohol intoxicated. After a glass or two, he got a little queer.
4. tv. to spoil something. Please don’t queer the deal.
5. mod. homosexual. (Rude and derogatory. But now in wider use in a positive sense.) She doesn’t like being called queer.
6. n. a homosexual male, occasionally a female. (Rude and derogatory. But now in wider use in a positive sense.) Tell that queer to stop following me.
mod. alcohol intoxicated. (In the sense made bogus.) How can anybody get so queered on two beers?
See also: queer
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.
- (as) queer as a nine-bob note
- (as) queer as a three-dollar bill
- (as) queer as Dick's hatband
- an odd/a queer fish
- as phony as a three-dollar bill
- as queer as a three-dollar bill
- be in Queer Street
- be on Queer Street
- in Queer Street
- on Queer Street
- queer as a three-dollar bill
- queer bashing
- queer beer
- queer duck
- queer fish
- queer for
- queer for (one)
- queer for something
- queer in the attic
- queer one
- queer somebody's pitch
- queer someone's pitch
- Queer Street
- queer the/(one's) pitch
- queer up
- there's nowt so queer as folk