put the dampener on (something)(redirected from put the dampener on it)
put the dampener on (something)
To discourage or deter something; to make something less enjoyable, pleasant, or fun; to extinguish or lessen people's enthusiasm for something. (A less common variant of "put a dampener on something.") The foul weather really put the dampener on our picnic yesterday. Without question, this tax scandal has put the dampener on the senator's likelihood of being re-elected. CDs quickly became the dominant format for music, but when digital formats arrived soon thereafter, it put the dampener on CD sales just as quickly.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2022 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
- a whole different animal
- a whole different ball of wax
- a whole different beast
- (something) to go on
- a slue of (something)
- a/the feel of (something)
- (I) wouldn't (do something) if I were you
- a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down
- a spoonful of sugar makes the medicine go down
- a straw will show which way the wind blows