put forth(redirected from put (something) forth)
1. To exert, assert, or expend something, especially effort. A noun or pronoun can be used between "put" and "forth." They played competently, but they just didn't put forth enough effort to win. If you don't put your best effort forth, there's no way they'll consider you for the job.
2. To offer or propose something for consideration. A noun or pronoun can be used between "put" and "forth." The newly elected mayor has put forth a number of plans for dealing with the housing crisis in the city. I want each of you to put three new ideas forth by the end of every week.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
put (something) forth
to exert effort. You are going to have to put more effort forth if you want to succeed. You need to put forth. You are not carrying your load.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
1. Grow, as in This bush puts forth new shoots each spring. [First half of 1500s]
2. Bring to bear, exert, as in We'll have to put forth a great deal more effort. [c. 1400]
3. Also, set forth. Offer for consideration, as in She put forth at least three new ideas. [Mid-1300s]
4. Bring to notice, publish, as in The appendix puts forth a fresh analysis of events. [Mid-1500s]
5. See set forth.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Idioms by Christine Ammer. Copyright © 2003, 1997 by The Christine Ammer 1992 Trust. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. To propose something; offer something for consideration: Who first put forth the idea that the Earth is round rather than flat? At the hearing, the lawyer put it forth that the witnesses were all lying.
2. To exert something: I wish you would put forth more effort at school.
3. To grow some new part, such as leaves, roots, or shoots. Used of plants: The bulb will put forth a shoot if you water it every day.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Phrasal Verbs. Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.