push forward(redirected from push me forward)
1. To move someone or something forward by exerting force against them or it. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "push" and "forward." Here, let me push your chair forward so you're closer to the table. My friends pushed me forward when the teacher asked for volunteers.
2. To progress, advance, or move forward, especially in spite of some difficulty, hardship, or obstacle. They decided to push forward with the production of their war film, despite protests from activist groups decrying its historical inaccuracies. I know you're all tired, but we have to push forward so that we can get back to base camp before sundown.
3. To reschedule some event to an earlier date or time. The new smartphone was supposed to release in Spring of 2024, but it was pushed forward to Winter of 2023. We're pushing the ceremony forward to next week due to a scheduling conflict with one of our speakers.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
push someone or something forward
to shove or move someone or something to the front. Mary's mother pushed her forward where she would be seen. Let me push the piano bench forward for you.
to move forward; to move onward toward a goal. We have lots to do. We must push forward! They are pushing forward, hoping to complete the project on time.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
1. To advance something or someone ahead by exerting pressure: They are trying to push forward reforms despite resistance from the older members. The teacher asked for volunteers, and as a joke someone pushed me forward.
2. To advance despite difficulty or opposition: The explorers pushed forward through the thick underbrush. The committee pushed forward with their plan to demolish the building.
3. To change the scheduled time of some event to an earlier time: They pushed the meeting forward from 3:00 to 1:30.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Phrasal Verbs. Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.