Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus.
Related to push back: push forward
Like this video? Subscribe to our free daily email and get a new idiom video every day!
1. To move someone or something backward by exerting force against them or it. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "push" and "back." Would you help me push the kitchen table back against the wall, please? I pushed him back when he got too close to me.
2. To stall, delay, or postpone something until a later time or date. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "push" and "back." They decided to push back the release date of their war film as a sign of respect to the victims of the attack. We've pushed this product back too much already—I want it out and in people's hands by the first of May, come hell or high water!
3. To resist, oppose, or protest something. The management tried to restructure the way employees' pensions would be paid, but workers pushed back hard. People are pushing back against proposed legislation that would limit their ability to travel outside the country.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2022 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
push someone or something back (from someone or something)
to move or force someone or something back from someone or something. I quickly pushed her back from the edge. She almost fell over. There wasn't enough room, so we pushed back the furniture. Tony pushed Jane back from the edge.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
1. To move or force something backward by applying pressure: Push that glass back from the edge of the table. The police managed to push back the protestors by using tear gas.
2. To delay something until a future time; postpone something: We should push back the deadline so that we have more time to work on the project. They pushed the meeting back to Thursday because two of the officers were sick.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Phrasal Verbs. Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.