purchase(redirected from purchased)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia.
Related to purchased: purchasing power
purchase (something) for (someone or something)
1. To buy something on behalf of or as a gift to someone. He purchased a brand new car for Janet for her birthday. I'm purchasing some supplies for my boss.
2. To buy something for use with or by something else. I'm looking to purchase a new engine for my car. He's purchasing property all over the country for his company.
3. To buy something for a particular purpose or use. I refuse to purchase a brand-new dress for a wedding unless I know I'll wear it again in the future. You'll need to make a sizable donation for them to invite you to the gala.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2022 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
purchase something for someone
to buy something for someone else; to buy something to give to someone. Tony purchased a number of toys for the children in the orphanage. Who did you purchase this gift for?
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
- (someone) won't thank you for (something)
- he, she, etc. won't thank you for something
- be partial to (someone or something)
- (someone) is not going to thank you for (something)
- get (someone) under (one's) thumb
- crack onto (someone or something)
- be staring (something) in the face
- be staring something in the face
- in default of
- have (one's) sights trained on (someone or something)