punch above (something)(redirected from punched above)
punch above (something)
To perform more successfully or capably than some expected or assumed limitation. Most commonly used in the form "punch above one's weight." The small-town mayor has been punching above her weight recently, going head-to-head with federal lawmakers over the issue of immigration reform. The small company has punched above the odds for the last two years, outperforming its much larger competitors in nearly every way. For such a small country, it really punches above its size when it comes to economic impact.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
- put (one's) weight behind (someone or something)
- put/throw your weight behind something
- hit above (one's) weight
- punch above (one's) weight
- punch above your weight
- punch above/below your weight
- throw (one's) weight behind (someone or something)
- throw your weight behind someone
- throw your weight behind something
- land a punch