prove (to be) (something)(redirected from prove us to be)
prove (to be) (something)
1. To show or provide evidence of having a particular trait, attribute, or characteristic. The new method proved to be useful in detecting radiation. She's proven a reliable ally in my time at this company.
2. To show or provide evidence that someone, something, or oneself has a particular trait, attribute, or characteristic. In this usage, a noun or pronoun is used directly after "prove." The new computer's incredibly reliable CPU and sleek design prove it to be a worthy investment for any student or professional. The week I had to spend in New York proved Janet to be more than capable of running the office on her own. This new evidence proves him a liar.
See also: prove
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
prove to be something
to be shown to be someone or something; to be found to be someone or something. Susan proved to be a good friend when she lent me some money. The food proved to be spoiled when I smelled it.
See also: prove
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
- prove to be
- there was/is something about (someone or something)
- there's something about (someone or something)
- there's something about somebody/something
- not know the meaning of the word
- endowed with (something)
- in the (something) stakes
- in the... stakes
- long on (something) and short on (something else)
- long on one thing and short on another