profit(redirected from profited)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia.
turn a profit
To make money; to make a profit from a particular venture. We're going to have to close the shop if we don't turn a profit again this quarter. We broke even again, but I think we will turn a profit next quarter.
profit by (something)
1. Literally, to make money from something. I promise, you'll profit by this business venture. There are stacks of bills in your future.
2. To learn from some experience. Well, as long as you profit by this error, then it's not so bad, right?
realize (something) from (something)
1. To come to some particular realization as a result of something else. I realized that she didn't love me from the look on her face. You should have realized from the way they were acting that they had no intention of honoring the agreement.
2. To achieve or obtain some profit or other gain as a result of some transaction or sale. We'll ensure you realize the largest possible return from your investment. The government realized a pretty sizable profit from the sale of its properties around the country.
See also: realize
reap (something) from (someone or something)
1. Literally, to accrue or accumulate something from the harvest of something else. We were able to reap a huge bounty of corn from the fields this year.
2. To gain, obtain, or achieve something from some source. I'll ensure you're able to reap huge profits from this investment. The data we reaped from these computer caches will enable us to take down the terrorist cell once and for all.
See also: reap
profit by somethingand profit from something
1. Lit. to gain money from something. You will surely profit by investing in this stock. I know I will profit from this investment.
2. Fig. to learn from something. I am sure you will profit by your unpleasant experience. Yes, I will profit from my failure.
turn a profit
to earn a profit. The company plans to turn a profit two years from now.