prepare for(redirected from prepared me for)
1. To do or acquire what is necessary to be ready for something. We're currently gathering all the necessary documents as we prepare for our end-of-year audit. I've been preparing for the Olympics for the last four years. The East Coast is preparing for one of the worst storms of the last century.
2. To make someone or something ready for some particular action or event. In this usage, a noun or pronoun is used between "prepare" and "for." We're preparing our team for the big championship game this weekend. We'll need to prepare the building for the inspection.
3. To get together or in order the things needed to make or do something. In this usage, a noun or pronoun is used between "prepare" and "for." Have you finished preparing the ingredients for the meal? Let's prepare the documents we'll need for the audit.
4. To get a room, house, or other lodging ready for someone's arrival. In this usage, a noun or pronoun is used between "prepare" and "for." We're preparing the guest room for my mother-in-law. Jack's coming on Friday, so I need to prepare the house for him.
5. To make someone mentally or emotionally prepared for something unpleasant or shocking. In this usage, a noun or pronoun is used between "prepare" and "for." I want to prepare you for what this procedure entails. Nothing could have prepared me for what I was about to witness. She prepared herself for bad news.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
prepare someone or something for something
to get someone or something ready for something. I prepared her for her trip by going over her itinerary. I prepared the garden for planting.
prepare someone for something
to build someone up for shocking news. I went in and had a talk with her to prepare her for the report. You should prepare yourself for the worst.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.