pour down(redirected from pouring down)
1. To cause a liquid or loose substance to flow downward and into something that carries it away, such as a drain. In this usage, a noun or pronoun is used between "pour" and "down." It's a shame to pour such nice wine down the drain, but I can't drink anymore, or I'll get a horrible headache. He poured the soapy water down the gutter after he finished washing his car.
2. To rain or fall down in a shower (on someone or something). After nearly two weeks of drought, it was such a relief for the rain to come pouring down again. Green slime poured down on the contestant after she answered the question incorrectly.
3. To cause some liquid or loose substance to fall down in a shower on someone or something. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "pour" and "down." The castle defenders poured boiling oil down on the attackers below the ramparts. Someone poured sand down on us from that bridge up there.
4. To be gifted to someone in great abundance; to grace someone with a lot of something. Praise for the director's debut film poured down on her from critics across the globe. We must always be thankful for the good fortune that has poured down on us since we first built this farm two years ago.
5. To grace or gift something to someone in great abundance. The bosses always pour compliments down on Janet, even though she does half as much work as the rest of us. I truly believe God pours his blessings down on those who cherish His words in their hearts.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2022 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
pour down(on someone or something)
1. Lit. [for water, as with rain] to shower down on someone. The rain poured down on us, soaking us to the bone.
2. Fig. [for blessings, criticism, praise, kudos, etc.] to flow down on someone or something. Criticism poured down on the mayor until he resigned. Blessings poured down on the early settlers in the form of good harvests and plentiful game.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.