pot(redirected from potting)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to potting: Potting Soil
Like this video? Subscribe to our free daily email and get a new idiom video every day!
slang Marijuana. I smoked a little pot when I was in college, but I never touched anything harder than that. He got arrested for dealing pot.
1. slang A toilet. I was on the pot when the doorbell rang, so I couldn't answer it.
2. informal A sum of money collected communally. We each paid $10 into the pot each month, with the aim of having enough to buy a new coffee machine for the office at the end of the year. Let's all put in a $5 wager. Whoever guesses the outcome right wins the pot, deal?
3. In gambling games like poker, the sum of money that players wager during a hand. I thought I would win the pot with my four of a kind, but Tom won it all with a straight flush.
See also: pot
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. n. a toilet. (Usually with the.) Jimmy’s on the pot, Mommy.
2. n. a drinking vessel. (Old but still heard.) How about a pot of beer?
3. in. to drink heavily; to use a pot (sense 2) to excess. Let’s sit here and pot for a while.
4. n. a vessel, hat, basket, etc., used to collect or receive contributions. Please pass the pot.
5. n. a sum of money collected; a pool of money. How large is the pot this month?
6. n. cannabis; marijuana. (Originally drugs, now widely known.) The cops found pot growing next to city hall.
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.
- (do something) or get off the pot
- a chicken in every pot
- a little pot is soon hot
- a melting pot
- a pot of gold
- a storm in a teapot
- a tempest in a teapot
- a watched pot never boils
- be pot luck
- boil the pot
- can talk the legs off an iron pot
- don't have a pot to piss in
- don't have a pot to piss in (or a window to throw it out of)
- fish or cut bait
- fit a quart into a pint pot
- for the pot
- get a quart into a pint pot
- get/pour/put a quart into a pint pot
- go to pot
- gone to pot
- hello pot, meet kettle
- hi pot, meet kettle
- if ifs and ands were pots and pans
- in the melting pot
- into the pot
- keep the pot boiling
- melting pot
- not have a pot to piss in
- piss or get off the pot
- pot boiler
- pot calling the kettle black, the
- pot hound
- pot is calling the kettle black
- pot luck
- pot of gold
- pot party
- pot shot
- pot sniffer
- pot to pee/piss in, not have a
- pot up
- pot, meet kettle
- pots of money
- put (one's) pot on
- put someone's pot on
- sex pot
- stir the pot
- sweeten (up) the pot
- sweeten the kitty
- sweeten the pot
- take a pot shot
- take pot luck
- the pot
- the pot calling the kettle black
- the pot is calling the kettle black
- throw (something) in(to) the pot
- up pot
- watched pot never boils
- watched pot never boils, a
- You cannot get a quart into a pint pot
- you can't get a quart into a pint pot