Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to pops: Persistent organic pollutants
1. verb, slang To swallow (tablets or pills of drugs). A: "I'm feeling a headache coming on." B: "Why don't you pop a couple ibuprofen and go rest your eyes for a few minutes?" I could tell from his eyes that he had been popping pills again.
2. noun, informal A nonalcoholic, flavored, typically carbonated beverage; soda pop We've got beers for the adults and pop for the kids.
3. noun, informal One's father. Usually capitalized if used as a term of address. A: "Morning, Pop." B: "Good morning, Tim. Sleep well?" I heard your pop works for the government. Is that true?
4. noun, informal Music that appeals to the largest or most general portion of the population. Short for "popular music." I can't stand pop, so I don't ever really listen to music on the radio. I like pretty much any kind of music, but I mostly listen to pop.
5. adjective, informal Of or relating to pop music. Trust me, the life of a pop singer is exciting at first, but it becomes a soul-crushing ordeal fairly quickly.
6. adjective, informal Indicating, reflecting, or aimed at the largest or most general portion of the population. My mother-in-law is always peddling some new fad in the world of pop psychology. The new exhibition explores the hidden depths of pop art.
1. slang One's father. (Can by used as a term of address.) A: "Good morning, Pops." B: "Good morning? It's nearly 1 PM!" I'll have to check with my pops, but I think it should be all right.
2. slang A term of address for an older man, whether or not the man is actually elderly. Get outta the way, pops! You're blocking up traffic! Excuse me, pops, do you have the time?
See also: pop
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2022 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
n. one’s father; any older man. (Also a term of address.) Hey, pops! How you doing?
See also: pop
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.